16 & 17 Year Olds (must be entering 11th or 12th grade in the fall of 2020)
Sunday, June 14 – Friday, June 19, 2020
Program Cost: $675 (includes round-trip transportation to/from Oakland)
The CIT program is designed to provide leadership and career training to older youth campers as they begin the transition from campers to potential staff members. Participants follow a curriculum designed to teach them about values, inclusion, relationships, communication, developing others, decision-making and emotional maturity through the lens of child development and behavior management. Participants are also paired with a tent/cabin-group to shadow staff and learn skills to become effective cabin counselors. Past experience as a OFRC camper is encouraged but not required. There is a maximum of 8 campers allowed in this program.
What are the requirements to be in the CIT program?
- Be 16 or 17 years old and entering the 10th or 11th grade in the Fall of 2020.
- Have a desire to work with children in an outdoor resident camp setting.
- Have a strong desire to learn the fundamentals of camp counseling.
- Exhibit attitudes and behaviors that help build the self-esteem of self and others.
- Have the ability to take direction from peers and adults.
How is the CIT program different from traditional Youth Camp?
The CIT program is intended for 16 and 17 year olds who are interested in exploring what it is like to be a summer camp counselor. The week is focused on leadership training, small group bonding and team-building. There are also ample opportunities for observation, practice and mentoring in cooperation with Youth Camp staff! It still has the OFRC youth camp feel, but shows a little bit behind the curtain and gives CITs an opportunity to help make the magic of camp happen!
UPDATED JANUARY 2019
- Families may request up to two campers to be in the same group as their child, with the children being within one year of age of each other. We will do our very best to honor all groupmate requests, but due to other family’s requests, age and grade breakdowns and dates of registration, we cannot 100% guarantee that all group requests will be granted. If you request more than two groupmates, we will simply honor your first two listed.
- For more information, please review our detailed Tent/Cabin Groupmate Request Policy by CLICKING HERE.
- Cancellations and refunds must be requested in writing.
- Campers requesting full refunds prior to 21 days before the first day of Youth Camp will receive a full refund, minus a $50.00 cancellation fee. If your initial payment was made on a credit card, an additional 3% will be charged on any cancellations.
- Due to the short camp season, we are not able to refund camper registration fees 21 days or less prior to the first day of Youth Camp.
How to Register for CIT Program
It’s nearly identical to our traditional Youth Camp registration process (which can be found below). We ask that you write/type in “CIT Program” in the Special Request section. After receiving your registration and payment, we will follow up with additional program information, including transportation details. Please complete and return your camper’s completed registration form along with a minimum 25% deposit of your camper’s total registration fee. Your deposit includes a $50 non-refundable administrative fee. The balance of your fees is due May 1, 2020. If you pay with a credit card, your balance will automatically be charged on May 1, 2020.
Payments can be made:
- by check or money order – made payable to “Camps in Common,” NOT Oakland Feather River Camp
- by credit card
Please do not mail cash. Alternatively, you may also call and register your child over the phone by calling the Camp Office at 510-336-2267.
Payments sent prior to May 15th may be mailed
or faxed to our Oakland office:
CAMPS IN COMMON
P.O. Box 11061, Oakland, CA 94611
or faxes to the Quincy Camp Office:
P.O. Box 3229, Quincy, CA 95971